Baked Cherry Strudel
- 15 oz(450 ml) can cherries,pitted and halved
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- grated rind of 3 lemons
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup soft white breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 pond(240g) frozen puff paste
- confectioners sugar
- 1/2 pound(240 g) butter,melted
- Put pitted cherries into a sieve,and drain thoroughly.
- In mixing bowl,combine walnuts,sugar,lemon rind,cinnamon and breadcrumbs.
- Mix well and pour the melted butter over and stir well to combine.
- Put the puff paste onto a well-floured dish and roll out a thin oblong about 14-20 inches,having the longer side of dough nearest to you.
- Brush over with extra melted butter.
- Spread the breadcrumbs over,leaving 2-inch margin of dough all around.
- Arrange the cherries parallel with the longer edge of the dough and near the center.
- Fold in the sides of the dough.
- Brush the folds with melted butter.
- Roll up and put on a large,greased baking sheet.
- Brush all over with melted butter.
- Preheat oven to 425°F(218°C).
- Bake strudel for 10 minutes.then reduce heat to 375°F(190°C),and bake for another 30 minutes(until golden brown),brushing every 10 minutes.
- Dust with sifted caster sugar.
- Serve baked cherry strudel warm.