Cooked Shrimp Sushi
- 10 large raw shrimp,heads removed
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 cups freshly cooked sushi rice
- wasabi paste
- Japanese soy sauce
- pickled ginger,to serve
- Insert a thin wooden skewer along the underside of each shrimp to prevent it from curling as it cooks.
- Cover a large pan with 1-inch(2.5 cm) of fresh water.
- Add the sake,salt and bring to a boil.Add the skewered shrimps and simmer for 2 minutes,or until they turn pink.
- Drain cooked shrimp,set aside and let cool completely.
- Peel each shrimp,then cut along the back of the body and scrape out the intestinal thread.
- Deepen the incision and carefully open the shrimp into a flat butterfly-shape.
- Sprinkle with rice vinegar and refrigerate.
- Wet a finger sushi mold.
- Fill each section with sushi rice ,working the rice into the corners.
- Press down with the lid,then remove it,and turn blocks out onto chopping board.
- Repeat so that you have 10 sushi blocks.
- Shape the rice by hand.
- Take a golf-ball amount of sushi rice in the palm of one hand,then press it into an oblong,using your palm and the fingers of your other hand.
- The block should be 2-inches(5 cm) long and 3/4 – inches(2 cm) wide.
- Repeat to make 10 blocks and place on a chopping board.
- Dab a little wasabi paste in the center of each sushi rice block,then lay a butterflied shrimp on top.
- Serve shrimp sushi with soy sauce,pickled ginger and extra wasabi paste.