Marinated Mackerel Sushi
- 2 mackerel fillets
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- wasabi paste
- 1/2 quantity freshly cooked sushi rice
- Japanese soy sauce
- pickled ginger
- Lay the mackerel fillets in a shallow dish.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Gently rub it into the flesh and skin.
- Place in refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Rinse salted mackerel under running cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Arrange fish fillets side by side in a shallow dish and pour over rice vinegar.
- Marinate in for 1 hour in refrigerator.
- Pat marinated fillets dry with paper towels.
- Lift the papery outer skin at one end and peel it off,leaving the silvery underskin intact.
- Remove any small bones.
- Trim the top of the flesh,using a sharp knife.
- Wet a sushi press to stop sushi rice from sticking.
- Arrange the fillets in the mold,skin-side down,trimming them so that they cover the bottom with no gaps.
- Dab a little wasabi paste over top,then pack in half of sushi rice.
- Press down with the lid.
- Lift off the sides of the sushi press,holding down the lid with your thumbs as you do so.
- Turn sushi out onto a chopping board so that the fish is on the top.
- Cut into 5 equal slices.
- Repeat,to make 10 pieces in total.
- Serve marinated mackerel sushi with soy sauce,pickled ginger and extra wasabi paste.