Oven Baked Coffee and Walnut Cupcakes
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 1 oz(30 ml) boiling water
- 6 oz(180 g) butter
- 6 oz(180 g) white sugar
- 3 large eggs,beaten
- 1¹⁄³ oz(40 g) walnuts,chopped
- 6 oz(180 g) self-raising flour
- For Coffee Icing:
- 2¹⁄³ oz(75 g) butter
- 6 oz(180 g) icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon coffee essence
- drizzle of water
- walnuts to decorate
- Preheat turbo oven to 400°F(199°C).
- In a mixing bowl,combine instant coffee and boiling water.
- Mix well and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl,combine the butter and sugar.
- Cream until pale and fluffy.
- Add beaten eggs a little at a time and continue to beat well.
- Add the coffee mixture and chopped walnuts and stir well.
- Sift self-raising flour and fold into the mixture gently until thoroughly combined.
- Place in muffin cases and stand on a tray.
- Place on the low grilling rack and bake for 15-18 minutes.
- The cakes should be firm and spring back when touched.
- Place oven baked coffee and walnut cupcakes on a cooling rack to cool.
- Meanwhile,prepare the butter icing.
- Beat the butter until soft.
- Gradually add the icing sugar and coffee essence.
- Add a few drops of water at a time until you reach the desired consistency-it should be glossy,thick and lump free.
- Place the icing in an icing bag and,starting from the center,evenly coat the top of each cupcake.
- Decorate oven baked coffee and walnut cupcakes with a few walnuts.