Beef Casserole with Stilton and Herb Dumplings2014-09-15
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 1:45 h
- Ready In : 2:00 h
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound (480 g) stewing beef
- olive oil
- 2 red onions,peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic,peeled and roughly crushed
- 2 sweet potatoes,peeled and diced
- 4 carrots,peeled and diced
- 2 cups (500 ml) stout
- 1 2/3 oz (50 g) pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- handful of thyme,chopped
- FOR DUMPLINGS:
- 4 oz (120 g) self-raising flour
- 1 2/3 oz (50 g) suet
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 2/3 oz (50 g) Stilton,crumbled
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 2/3 cups (400 ml) hot beef stock
In a small mixing bowl,combine all-purpose flour,paprika,salt and black pepper. Stir and set aside.
Rinse well the beef,then coat with flour mixture.
In a casserole dish(make sure it fits in your turbo oven),preheat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add seasoned beef and cook until browned. Remove meat from the heat and set aside.
Add sliced onion and garlic and cook until onion starts soften.
Add red sweet potato and diced carrots and cook for few minutes. return the beef back in the casserole dish.
Pour on the stout,stirring well. Add pearl barley,brown sugar,bay leaves and thyme. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
Cook the casserole for a further 5 minutes.
Preheat halogen (turbo) oven to 320 F (160 C). transfer the casserole dish on low rack of the halogen oven. Cover with a lid and cook for 50 minutes.
For the dumplings:In a mixing bowl,combine self-raising flour flour and suet. Season with salt and black pepper and mix in the fresh parsley and crumbled cheese.
Add a little water at the time until you have formed a pliable dough. Form into small balls and set aside.
Check the casserole after 50 minutes. Add hot beef stock and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Remove the lid and add dumplings. Cook for an additional 20-30 minutes.
Serve beef casserole with Stilton and herb dumplings immediately.
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 people rated this recipe