- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 2:30 h
- Ready In : 2:40 h
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) shortening
- 3/4 cup (180 g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs,beaten
- 1 2/3 cups (400g) all-purpose flour
- 1 2/3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 g) chopped nuts
- grated peel from 1 lemon
- Glaze: 1/4 cup powdered (caster) sugar
- freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon
Cream together shortening and sugar. Add eggs. Mix well.
Stir together flour,baking powder,and salt. Add flour mixture and milk alternately to shortening mixture. Stir in nuts and lemon peel. Spoon butter into well greased 2-pound coffee can and cover with well-greased tin foil.
Place in slow cooker set on High for 2-2¼ hours,or until done.
Remove bread from coffee can. Mix together powered sugar and lemon juice. Pour over loaf.Serve plain or with cream cheese.
Average Member Rating
(4 / 5)
2 people rated this recipe