Oven Baked Vegetable Moussaka2014-10-05
- Servings : 4-6
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 50m
- Ready In : 1:05 h
Oven baked vegetable moussaka.This recipe is excellent choice for vegetarians.Greek moussaka baked in oven.
- 2 large onions,peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove,peeled and crushed
- 1 large aubergine,sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 oz (60 g) melted butter
- 4 oz (120 g) lentils
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 pint (560 ml) light stock
- 4 small globe artichokes,stems removed
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- bouquet garni
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- sprigs of parsley,to garnish
Sprinkle sliced aubergine with salt and black pepper. Set aside and leave to drain for 15 minutes.
In a large saucepan,combine melted butter,onion and garlic. Fry over medium-high heat until golden. Add lentils,tomato puree and light stock. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 1 hour,until a thick puree.
Coarse outer leaves from artichokes. Bring a pan of water to a boil,add lemon juice,bouquet garni and artichokes. Simmer over low-heat for 20-30 minutes until tender.
Rinse aubergine and pat dry,using a paper towel. Heat cooking oil in a frying pan,add aubergines and fry until crisp and golden.
Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
Drain artichokes,cut in half and remove chokes. Arrange cut sides up in lightly greased ovenproof dish. Pour half lentil mixture over artichokes,then cover with half fried aubergine slices. Repeat the layers of lentil and aubergine and press down lightly.
Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Serve oven baked vegetable moussaka hot,garnished with parsley.
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 people rated this recipe