Pressure Cooker Veal Marengo2016-05-22
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 30m
- 4 pounds (1.9 kg) lean veal stew meat,cubed
- 4 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 long strips orange zest
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 ml) plus 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 8 oz (240 ml) tomato sauce
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound (480 g) mushrooms,quartered
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley for garnish
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pat veal dry with paper towel. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
In a pressure cooker,heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in a batches,brown seasoned meat on all sides for 5-6 minutes per batch. Transfer browned veal to a plate.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in the hot pot. Add onion,garlic and celery.Cook,stirring,until onion is tender,for about 5 minutes. Add orange zest,bat leaf,thyme,chicken broth and 1 cup (250 ml) dry white wine. Bring to a boil over high heat,then reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 minute.
Return veal to the pot. Pour in tomato sauce. Top with parsley springs. Do not stir.
Close pressure cooker and lock the lid. Set the burner heat to high pressure. When pressure cooker reaches high pressure,reduce burner heat to low. Set timer to cook for 20 minutes.
Remove pot from the heat. Carefully open pressure cooker. Using a slotted spoon,remove cooked veal from pressure cooker. Discard bay leaf and orange zest strips.
Using an immersion blender,puree the sauce. Season with salt,as needed.
In a small mixing bowl,combine cornstarch and remaining 2 tablespoons dry white wine. Mix well. Stir wine mixture into the pot and stir to thicken.
In nonstick skillet,melt butter. Add quartered mushrooms and toss with lemon juice. Saute for a few minutes. Add cooked mushrooms with cooking liquid to the pot along with cooked veal.
Serve immediately,sprinkled with chopped parsley.
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 people rated this recipe