Slow Cooker Ropa Veija2017-03-11
- Cuisine: Cuban, Mexican
- Course: Main Dish, Pressure Cooker Recipes
- Skill Level: Beginner
- Add to favorites
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 6:00 h
- Ready In : 6:10 h
Slow cooker ropa veija. Ropa Veija means shredded flank beef steak. Here is pressure cooker version of this beef recipe. Adapted from http://www.panningtheglobe.com Beef flank steak with vegetables and spices cooked in slow cooker.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pounds (960 g) beef flank steak
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper to tatse
- 1 carrot,peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 1 green bell pepper,seeded and sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion,peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 whole head of garlic,peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dry white wine
- 2 cups (500 ml) tomato puree
- 6 oz (180 ml) can tomato paste
- 1 cup (250 ml) low-fat chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup green olives,pitted and sliced
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
Season beef steak with salt and black pepper on all sides.
In a large nonstick skillet,heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add seasoned meat and brown on both sides,for 3 minutes per side. Place browned beef in slow cooker. Stir in sliced carrots.
Add 1 tablespoon of canola oil to skillet along with garlic,onions and green bell peppers. Reduce heat to medium and cook ,stirring,until vegetables are softened and start to caramelize. Pour in dry white wine and cook,stirring and scrapping any browned bits from the bottom,for a further 1 minute. Turn off heat and transfer mixture to slow cooker.
In a medium mixing bowl,combine tomato puree,tomato paste,dried ingredients and 2 teaspoons kosher salt. Mix well. Pour tomato mixture over beef in slow cooker.
Cover slow cooker and cook on high-heat setting for 6 hours or until beef is tender. Just 30 minutes before,stir in green olives and vinegar.
Turn off slow cooker. Using a tongs,transfer meat to cutting board. Shred beef with a two forks. Pour sauce over shredded flank steak. Serve over cooked rice with black beans and lime wedges.
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 people rated this recipe