Slow Cooker Hot and Sour Soup
- 12 fresh shiitake mushrooms,stems removed and caps sliced
- 1/2 oz(15 g) dried porchini mushrooms
- 2 carrots,sliced
- 2 8-oz(240 g) cans bamboo shoots,rinsed
- 2 14-oz(420 g) packages extra-firm tofu,water-packed,drained and cut into 1/2-inch(1.2 cm) pieces
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 4 cups homemade beef broth
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce,plus extra,to taste
- 1 tablespoon chile-garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 cup sliced scallions
- Place mushrooms in 6-quart(6 L) slow cooker.
- Add carrots,bamboo shoots and tofu.
- Sprinkle with black pepper and top with sliced green cabbage.
- In a mixing bowl,combine broth,vinegars,soy sauce,chile-garlic sauce and ginger.
- Stir well and add mixture to slow cooker.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low-heat setting for 7-8 hours.
- In another mixing bowl,combine 1/3 cup of water,cornstarch and sesame oil.
- Whisk well and stir into soup.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high-heat setting for additional 20 minutes.
- Top with sliced scallions.
- Ladle into bowls and serve hot.