Slow Cooker Pork Chops with Spiced Fruit
4 pork sirloin chops,cut into 3/4-inch(2 cm) thick
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
16 oz(180 g) package dried apples
1 medium onion,peeled and chopped
1/4 cup raisins
3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 small jalapeño pepper,seeded and finely chopped
1 clove garlic,peeled and minced
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
1/4 cup fresh water
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Orange-Almond Couscous(see recipe below)462 Calories
12G of Fat
- Sprinkle pork chops with salt and black pepper.
- In large nonstick skillet preheat vegetable oil.
- Add seasoned pork chops and cook until brown on both sides.
- Place cooked pork in slow cooker.
- In small mixing bowl,combine apples,onion and raisins.Sprinkle apple mixture over chops.
- In another mixing bowl,stir together orange juice,chicken broth,jalapeño pepper,garlic,ginger and apple pie spice.
- Pour over all.Cover slow cooker and cook on low-heat setting for 6-8 hours.
- Transfer slow cooker pork chops and fruit to a platter and keep warm.
- To prepare sauce,measure juices,skim fat from juices and put in a saucepan.
- 10.Combine 1/4 cup fresh water and cornstarch.Stir into juices in saucepan.
- .Cook and stir until thickened.Cook and stir for further 2 minutes.
- Serve slow cooker pork chops with Orange-Almond Couscous.Pass sauce.
- In a saucepan,combine 1 cup fresh water and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in 2/3 cup quick-cooking couscous and 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel.
- over with a lid and put aside for 5 minutes.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons slivered almonds,toasted.