Tuscan Vegetable Soup
- 8 oz(240 g) dried beans
- 1½ pounds(700 g) cabbage,shredded
- 1 onion,peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large leek,trimmed and sliced
- 1 stalk of celery,trimmed and sliced
- 1 carrot,peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove,peeled and crushed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs of oregano
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 3 pints(1,7 L) light stock
- Soak beans in cold water overnight.
- Drain beans,put into a large saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to the boil,then reduce the heat and simmer for 1½ hours until tender.
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan.
- Fry vegetables,except cabbage,until lightly browned.
- Add cabbage and seasoning and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove herbs from saucepan and add tomato purée,beans and light stock.
- Bring to a boil,then reduce a heat and simmer for a further 15 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning,to taste.
- Pour Tuscan vegetable soup into warmed bowl.