Baked Mediterranean Souvlaki
- Servings : 2
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 25m
- Ready In : 35m
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1people rated this recipe
Baked Mediterranean souvlaki. Marinated pork baked over gas grill.
- 1½ pounds (750 g) boneless pork shoulder,cut into 1-inch(2.5 cm) cubes
- 1½ teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bunches fresh mint,rinsed and stemmed,1 bunch coarsely chopped
- 4 cinnamon sticks(3 inches(7,5 cm)each
- 1 cup (250 ml) dry red wine
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
Place cubed pork in a large nonstick bowl. Sprinkle the salt and freshly ground black pepper over the meat. Toss to coat all sides well.
Stir in chopped mint,then cinnamon sticks,wine and olive oil. Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
Drain pork well and discard marinade.
Tread cubed meat onto skewers,placing a whole mint leaf between each piece of meat. Preheat gas barbecue to high-heat (420°F-250°C),then reduce heat to low.
Cook the kebabs until nicely browned and cooked through. To test the kebabs for doneness,squeeze meat cube between your thumb and forefinger. It should feel firm. Transfer baked Mediterranean souvlaki to a serving platter and serve with pita bread.