Baked Rigatoni with Mozzarella and Tomato Sauce
- Yield: 8
- Servings: 8
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 1:15 h
- Ready In: 1:25 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 People rated this recipe
Baked rigatoni with mozzarella and tomato sauce.Rigatoni with smoked mozzarella and eggplant tomato sauce cooked in an oven. Very delicious Italian recipe. You can serve it as a side dish or main dish.
- 1 pound (480 g) uncooked rigatoni
- 2 pounds (960 g) eggplant,diced
- sea salt
- olive oil
- 2 sweet onions,peeled and diced
- 5 cloves garlic,peeled and minced
- 2 (28 oz (840 ml) each)) cans whole peeled Italian tomatoes,chopped and juice reserved
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup torn basil leaves
- 6 ripe plum tomatoes,seeded and chopped
- 1 pound smoked mozzarella cheese,sliced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add rigatoni and cook,according cooking instructions. Drain and rinse under cold water and set aside.
Sweat the diced eggplants. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and place in a colander lined with paper towels. Close with a lid and allow to sweat for about 1 hour. Remove sweated diced eggplants from the colander. Pat dry with paper towels.
In a large saute pan,heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add eggplants and saute until golden,for about 4-5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon,transfer eggplants to a plate and set aside.
Using the same olive oil,sauté the onions over medium-high heat,stirring occasionally, until soft (for about 10 minutes). Stir in minced garlic and saute for a further 5 minutes. Stir in canned tomatoes with reserved juice,tomato paste, eggplant, red pepper flakes, oregano, parsley, brown sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer,stirring occasionally,for about 15 minutes.
Remove pan from the heat. Stir in fresh basil and chopped plum tomatoes.
Spoon 1 cup (250 ml) of tomato sauce over the bottom of a 1 ½ quart lasagna pan. Toss cooked rigatoni with another cup of sauce. Beginning with the pasta, layer with smoked mozzarella cheese and sauce 2 times. Sprinkle the top evenly with grated Parmesan cheese.
Bake in preheated oven for45-50 minuted or until bubbling and hot.