Italian Potted Beef
- Yield : 4
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 2:10 h
- Ready In : 2:20 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1people rated this recipe
Italian potted beef. Pan-roasted beef rump roast with vegetables and red wine.very delicious Italian beef recipe.
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 3 pounds (1.44 kg) beef rump roast
- 1 carrot,peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk,chopped
- 1 yellow onion,peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves,peeled and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 oz (30 g) mushrooms,sliced
- 1 cup (250 ml) dry red wine
- 6 oz (180 ml) can tomato paste
- 2 cups (500 ml) beef stock
- salt and freshly gound black pepper
In a heavy saucepan,heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add beef and brown quickly on all sides. Add carrot,celery and onions and saute,stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown. Stir in garlic,bay leaves and seasoning. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking .
Stir in sliced mushrooms to neat and vegetables. Cook,uncovered,over low heat for 4 minutes. Stir in dry red wine and tomato paste diluted with warm beef stock. Cover sauce pan,increase heat to high and bring to mixture to a boil.
Continue cooking,covered,until beef is tender,for about 2 ½ hours. Stir occasionally,basting the meat from time to time.
Remove cooked meat from the pan. Pour gravy over and serve immediately.