Smoked Haddock Chowder
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 25m
- Ready In: 35m
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 People rated this recipe
Smoked haddock chowder. Very tasty fish chowder with spices,vegetables and herbs.
- 1 pound (480 g) smoked haddock or cod
- 1 large potato,peeled and diced
- 1 stick fresh celery,finely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion,peeled and finely chopped
- 1¾ oz(50 g) butter,melted
- 1 rasher bacon,finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup (250 ml) milk
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley,finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cream
To Make the Fish Stock: In a deep frying pan,combine smoked haddock and 4 oz(120 ml) fresh water. Bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer for until the fish flakes easily(about 8-10 minutes). Drain,reserving the stock. Discard the skin and bones,flake the fish and set aside.
Smoked Haddock Chowder: In a frying pan,combine potato,celery,onion and 3 cups reserved stock. Bring to a boil,then reduce the heat and simmer until vegetables are tender(about 8-10 minutes). Set aside.
In a large pan,combine melted butter and bacon. Cook,stirring,for 3 minutes.
Stir in the plain flour,dried mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Cook until pale and foaming(about 1-2 minutes).
Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk. Return to the heat,stirring until chowder boils and thickens.
Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes,the stir in vegetable and stock mixture,add parsley and boned haddock. Simmer over low-heat until heated through. Season smoked haddock chowder and serve with cream.