Easy Vegetable and Lamb Stew Recipe
- Yield : 2 servin plates
- Servings : 2
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 60m
- Ready In : 1:10 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1people rated this recipe
This information is per serving.
Easy vegetable and lamb stew recipe. Cubed lamb shoulder with vegetables cooked in the saucepan. Very delicious.
Curving a shoulder of lamb
- As there is no protruding bone on the shoulder it is not possible to form a handle as with the leg. It is necessary, therefore, to use a carving fork. The fork should be inserted into the joint at the leg end, far enough to provide a firm grip. The meatiest side of lamb shoulder should be toward the carver.
- A slicing or ham knife with a 10-inch (25 cm) blade should be used. Hold the joint in the manner as for leg, i.e. at an angle of 45º with the bottom resting on a carving board.
- Begin to slice the meatiest side of the joint about halfway along. Cut the slices about one-fourth of an inch thick toward the fork.
- Continue to carve the slices as large as possible until the formation of the bone is reached. Rotate the shoulder and carve slices from the smaller spine of the blade.
- Turn over the shoulder completely and insert the fork in the upper leg end and continue slicing toward the fork. The last pieces will be quite small but sweet and palatable.
Do you like lamb stew recipes? if so, you may also like this one:
Navarin of Lamb Recipe
makes 6-8 servings
Ingredients: 2 pounds (960 g) boned lamb shoulder, 1/4 cup (60 ml) drippings or oil, 1 pound (480 g) yellow onions, peeled and chopped, 1 pound (480 g) carrots, peeled and chopped, 1/2 cup browned all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons tomato paste, 2½ cups (625 ml) beef stock, 1 bouquet garni, 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed, salt and freshly ground black pepper, chopped fresh parsley
Instructions: Cut the lamb into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes and fry in the drippings until browned on all sides. Add the onions and carrots. Fry, stirring occasionally until the onion is soft. Stir in browned flour and cook for a few minutes over low heat. Add the tomato paste and beef stock, increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring continuously.
Add the bouquet garni, garlic, and seasoning. Cover, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 1-1½ hours, or until the meat is tender. Serve sprinkled with fresh chopped parsley.
To brown flour: Spread a quantity of all-purpose flour on a baking sheet and place in 375º F (180º C) oven until lightly browned. Remove, break up with a rolling pin, and sieve. Do not force small lumps through as they will cause lumps in the sauce. Use as required to thicken and color sauces. It gives a slight nuttiness to the flavor.
Variations: Add a mixture of spring vegetables (1-2 pounds (480-960g)) with the stock to make Navarin a la Printaniere. Substitute 1/2 pound (240 g) haricot beans for 1 pound (480 g) onions to make Haricot Stew
So, here is the main recipe- Easy Vegetable and Lamb Stew Recipe, enjoy it!
Easy Vegetable and Lamb Stew Recipe
- 2 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 1 pound (480 g) boneless lean lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 small white onions (peeled)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 cups (500 ml) low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium-size carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cut green beans
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Melt the margarine in a large heavy saucepan over high heat until bubbling. Add the lamb and stir to brown well on all sides-about 5 min. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the lamb to paper towels to drain.
Reduce the heat to moderate, add the onions and brown, stirring often about 8-10 min. During the last 2 min, stir the garlic. Add the beef broth to the pan and stir for 1 min., scraping up any browned bits.
Return the lamb to the pan, add the dill and pepper, cover, and simmer for 20 min. Add the carrots, tomatoes, and potatoes and bring to the boil. Cover, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 min.
Blend the flour with enough of the hot cooking liquid to make a smooth paste, add to the mixture, and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened-for 3-5 min. Add the green beans, cover and simmer about 5 min or until the beans are tender but still crisp.