Oven Baked Beef Casserole with Herby Dumplings2012-12-09
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 1:35 h
- Ready In : 1:45 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1people rated this recipe
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1¼ pounds (550g) beef topside,trimmed and diced
- 2 onions,peeled and chopped
- 3 carrots,peeled,cut into batons
- 2 celery sticks,diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups (625 ml) beef stock
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) dry red wine
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the Dumplings:
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs(parsley,sage and thyme)
- all-purpose flour,for shaping
Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in iron casserole dish. Add the beef and brown for about 5 minutes,turning occasionally. Remove the meat from the pot,using slotted spoon. Set aside.
Add the remaining oil and chopped onions to the casserole. Sauté for 10 minutes,until browned. Add to mixture carrots and celery. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
Stir in all-purpose flour,then gently stir in beef stock and red wine. Bring to a boil,stirring constantly. Put the low rack in the turbo oven.
Preheat the oven to 350°F(180°C). Meanwhile,return cooked beef to the casserole dish. Season with salt and black pepper and cover with a lid. Cook in turbo oven for 1½-2 hours,stirring after 1 hour,then again after 30 minutes.
Make the dumplings for oven baked beef casserole. Combine the self-raising flour,baking powder,mustard in mixing bowl. Mix well. Season with salt and black pepper.
Rub in the butter until the mixture resemble fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the herbs. Stir in mixture about 4 tablespoons fresh cold water. Use your hands to form the dough into a ball. Divide into 8 even pieces. Roll into balls with floured hands.
Arrange the dumplings on top of the casserole,half burying in the liquid. Cover turbo oven and cook for 25-30 minutes more.