Oven Baked Moussaka2022-03-31
- Yield: 4
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 30m
- Ready In: 40m
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 People rated this recipe
This information is per serving.
Saturated Fat13 g
Trans Fat0.8 g
Unsaturated Fat0 g
Oven-baked moussaka.Very easy and delicious Greek meal.Minced lamb with vegetables and cheese cooked in a halogen (turbo) oven.
What is Oven Baked Moussaka?
Oven Baked Moussaka is a classic Greek dish that has been enjoyed for generations. It is a hearty and flavorful casserole that combines layers of eggplant, ground meat, and creamy béchamel sauce. This dish is perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a family dinner or a special event.
The combination of flavors and textures in this dish is truly unique and will leave your taste buds wanting more. In this article, we will guide you through the process of making Oven Baked Moussaka in a Halogen Oven, so you can enjoy this delicious Greek delight in the comfort of your own home.
Ingredients for Oven Baked Moussaka
To make a delicious oven-baked moussaka, you will need the following ingredients:
– 2 large eggplants
– 1 lb ground beef or lamb
– 1 onion, chopped
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
– 1 tsp dried oregano
– 1 tsp ground cinnamon
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 1/4 cup olive oil
– 1/4 cup butter
– 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
– 2 cups milk
– 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
– 2 eggs, beaten
These ingredients are readily available in most grocery stores, and you may already have some of them in your kitchen. The combination of spices and herbs gives the dish its distinct flavor, while the eggplant and meat provide a hearty and satisfying meal. With these ingredients, you can easily make a delicious oven-baked moussaka that will impress your family and friends.
How to Make Oven-Baked Moussaka in a Halogen Oven
To make moussaka in a halogen oven, you will need to follow these simple steps:
1. Preheat your halogen oven to 180°C (350°F).
2. Peel and slice the eggplants into thin rounds. Sprinkle salt over them and let them sit for about 30 minutes to remove any bitterness.
3. Rinse the eggplant slices with water and pat them dry with a paper towel.
4. Heat some oil in a pan and fry the eggplant slices until they are lightly browned on both sides. Set them aside.
5. In the same pan, cook the minced beef until it is browned. Add chopped onions, garlic, and tomatoes to the pan and cook until the vegetables are soft.
6. Add tomato paste, cinnamon, salt, and pepper to the pan and stir well.
7. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and mix in the grated cheese and milk.
8. Layer the cooked eggplant slices at the bottom of a baking dish. Pour the meat mixture over the eggplant and spread it evenly.
9. Add another layer of eggplant slices on top of the meat mixture.
10. Pour the egg and cheese mixture over the top layer of eggplant.
11. Bake the moussaka in the halogen oven for 45-50 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
12. Let the moussaka cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
By following these steps, you can easily make a delicious and authentic Greek moussaka in your halogen oven.
Serving and Enjoying Your Delicious Greek Meal
After all the hard work of preparing your moussaka, it’s time to serve and enjoy your delicious Greek meal. The aroma of the dish will surely make your mouth water and your guests’ stomachs rumble with anticipation.
To serve, cut the moussaka into portions and place them on individual plates. You can garnish each serving with a sprinkle of chopped parsley or oregano for added flavor and presentation.
Pair your moussaka with a side salad of fresh greens, tomatoes, and cucumbers dressed with olive oil and lemon juice. You can also add some crusty bread to complete the meal.
As you take your first bite, savor the flavors of the creamy béchamel sauce, tender eggplant, and rich meat sauce. The combination of spices and herbs will transport you to the Mediterranean coast.
Enjoy your dish with a glass of red wine or a cold beer for a truly authentic Greek dining experience. This dish is perfect for family dinners, potlucks, or any occasion that calls for a hearty and satisfying meal.
- 2-3 aubergines,sliced
- olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion,peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic,peeled and crushed
- 1 pound (480 g) lamb mince
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 2 teaspoons tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup (250 ml) low-fat creme fraiche
- 1 2/3 oz (50 g) mature Cheddar cheese grated
Boil water in a saucepan. Put the aubergines in boiling water for 2 minutes. Then remove and pat dry. Leave to one side.
Heat olive oil in a sauté pan and fry the onion and garlic. Add the lamb mince and cook until browned. Add the tomatoes, tomato purée, mint, cinnamon, salt, and black pepper. Cook for additional 2-3 minutes.
Put a layer of lamb mince in ovenproof dish,followed by a layer of aubergine. Continue alternating lamb mince and aubergine,finishing with a layer of lamb.
Combine the crème frâche with grated Parmesan cheese in a mixing bowl. Mix well and pour the cheese mixture over the final layer of mince. Garnish with a sprinkle of cheese. Arrange ovenproof dish on low grilling rack of turbo oven.
Set turbo oven to 410°F(210°C). Cover the turbo oven and cook for 20-25 minutes until bubbling. Serve oven-baked moussaka hot.