Oven Baked Napoleons
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 60m
- Ready In : 7:50 h
Average Member Rating
(3.5 / 5)
2people rated this recipe
- For Pastry:
- 14 oz (120 g) package frozen puff pastry,defrosted
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- For Lemon and White Chocolate Mousse:
- 1/2 package unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cold water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup white chocolate,chopped
- 1½ cups (370 ml) whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 2½ cups fresh fruit(strawberries,raspberries,blueberries)(optional)
To prepare pastry,on a lightly floured surface,roll out of pastry into 8-inch(20 cm) square. Cut into 4-inch(10 cm) squares. Place pastry squares on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
In a small mixing bowl,combine egg yolk and milk. Mix well and brush over pastry. Sprinkle with sugar.
Pierce each piece of pastry several times with fork. Preheat oven to 380 F (190 C). Turn baking sheets after 10 minutes if pastry is browning too much. Cool baked pastry on wire rack.
To Prepare Mousse: In a small saucepan,sprinkle gelatin over cold water to soften. Heat over low-heat for 3 minutes to dissolve.
In a medium saucepan,combine granulated sugar,lemon zest,lemon juice and egg yolks. Whisk well,using a whisker.
Place mixture over medium-heat and bring slowly to a boil,whisking constantly. Cook until just thickened(about 3 minutes).
Remove mixture from heat and stir in gelatin and white chocolate until dissolved. Transfer mousse to a large bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl,whip cream until soft peaks form. Fold into lemon mixture.Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
To Assembly: Cut pastries in half. Place one half on each serving plate. Spoon 1/8 of mousse mixture over bottom pastry. Place pastry top over mousse. Sift icing sugar over top. Garnish oven baked Napoleons with fresh fruit,if desired.