- Cuisine: Italian
- Course: Main Dish, Side Dish
- Skill Level: Beginner
- Add to favorites
- Yield: 4
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 40m
- Ready In: 50m
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
2 People rated this recipe
This information is per serving.
Peperonata. Vegetables baked in an oven. Very delicious Italian side dish.
- 3/4 pound (180 g) tomatoes,roughly chopped
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 scallions,sliced
- 2 garlic cloves,peeled and chopped
- 1 pound (480g) red bell peppers,halved and deseeded
- 1 pound (480 g) yellow bell peppers,halved and deseeded
- 1 pound (480 g) green bell peppers,halved and deseeded
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 cup black olives
- fresh basel to garnish
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 475°F (240°C).
In a bowl, combine roughly chopped tomatoes,2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and allow to marinate for 30 minute
Preheat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pan. Add scallions and garlic and gently cook until softened.
Place bell pepper halves on an oven rack on a roasting pan and roast for 10-15 minutes. Cover with a damp kitchen towel. Set aside and allow to cool. Remove the skins.
Coarsely chop skinless bell peppers and mix them with scallions. Using a hand blender, blend the tomatoes and pass through a sieve to remove seeds and skins.
In a mixing bowl, combine skinned bell peppers, scallions, and tomato sauce. Mix well and stir in dried oregano. Set aside for 30 minutes and add salt and black pepper. To serve the peperonata, sprinkle the olives on top and garnish with basil.