Tomato Soup with Croutons
- Servings: 4-6
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 60m
- Ready In: 1:10 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 People rated this recipe
Tomato soup with croutons.Tomato soup with grilled Havarti cheese croutons.Yummy!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 sweet onions,peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 4 cups (1 L) homemade chicken stock
- 28 oz (840 g) can unsalted diced tomatoes
- pinch of saffron threads
- freshly ground black pepper,to taste
- 1/2 cup (125 g) heavy (double) cream
- For Grilled Croutons:4 slices of white bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter,melted
- 4 oz (120 g) grated Havarti cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
Preheat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add chopped onions and red chile flakes and cook,stirring occasionally,until golden brown(for about 15 minutes). Add minced garlic and cook for a further 1 minute. Stir in chicken stock,diced tomatoes,saffron threads and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Bring soup to a boil,then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
Stir in heavy|(double) cream and simmer,stirring, for a further 10 minutes.
Meanwhile,heat a grill pan. Wrap the sundries tomatoes in a paper towel to remove excess oil.Chop sun-dried tomatoes. In a mixing bowl,combine chopped sun-dried tomatoes and grated Havarti cheese.Stir well and set aside.
Brush sliced bread with melted butter. Turn bread slices over and spread Havarti mixture on two of slices. Top with remaining two slices,buttered side up. Grill Havarti sandwiches on preheated grill for 15 minutes or until browned.
Remove grilled Havarti sandwiches from the grill. Set aside fro a few minutes. Cut cooled sandwiches into strips and serve with delicious tomato soup.