Tuscan Vegetable Soup
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 2:15 h
- Ready In : 2:25 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1people rated this recipe
Tuscan vegetable soup.Very tasty Italian vegetable soup,also good for vegetarian.
- 8 oz (240 g) dried beans
- 1½ pounds (700 g) cabbage,shredded
- 1 onion,peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large leek,trimmed and sliced
- 1 carrot,peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove,peeled and crushed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 oregano sprigs
- 1 rosemary sprig
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 3 pints (1,7 L) light stock
Soak beans in cold water overnight. Drain beans,put into a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil,then reduce the heat and simmer for 1½ hours until tender.
Heat olive oil in large saucepan. Fry vegetables,except cabbage,until lightly browned. Add cabbage and seasoning and fry for a further 5 minutes.
Remove herbs from saucepan and add tomato purée,beans and light stock. Bring to a boil,then reduce a heat and simmer for a further 15 minutes. Adjust the seasoning,to taste.