Classic Whole Wheat Roti Recipe2020-06-17
- Cuisine: Indian
- Course: Main Dish
- Skill Level: Easy
- Add to favorites
- Yield: 2
- Servings: 2
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 15m
- Ready In: 25m
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 People rated this recipe
This information is per serving.
Classic whole wheat roti recipe. Roti is delicious cumin-flavored Indian flat-bread usually served with yogurt, raitas, and dals. The best way to serve it is Palak Dal.
Learn more about how to prepare this delicious Indian meal:
Palak Dal Recipe
Makes 4 servings
1 cup (250ml) moong dal
3 oz (90 g) fresh spinach leaves, roughly chopped
4 cups (1L ) water
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
Pinch of asafoetida
3 tablespoons vegetable oil or ghee
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
6 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1-inch (2.5 cm) ginger finely chopped
2 green chilies, seeded and finely chopped
Salt to taste
freshly squeezed juice of half lemon
- In a heavy saucepan, add the dal along with the water, turmeric, and asafoetida. Cook, stirring occasionally for 25-30 minutes over a medium heat. Remove dal mixture from the heat and set aside. Cool slightly, then mash the dal roughly using a potato masher or back of a tablespoon.
- In a large nonstick saucepan, heat vegetable oil or ghee over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds, garlic, ginger, and green chili
- Fry, stirring, for a few seconds, then add the cooked dal along with 2/3 cup (160ml) of water.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in chopped fresh spinach and season with salt to taste. Continue simmering on low heat, stirring continuously and making sure it does not stick to the bottom of the pan, for further 2 minutes.
- Pour in lemon juice and turn the heat off. Serve warm with chapati, roti, or rice.
Classic Whole Wheat Roti Recipe
- For the dough:
- 2 cups (500 ml) whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- For jeera paratha:
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) dry wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) red chili powder
In a large mixing bowl, combine whole wheat flour, cumin seeds, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, and salt. Mix well. Add water as required and knead a dough. Set the dough aside for 5 minutes.
Divide the dough and make small balls. Using a rolling pin, roll balls into 4-5 inch (10-12.5 cm) tortillas. Add vegetable oil, flour, and red chili powder. Fold into a half, then add more oil and fold to form a small triangle. Repeat the same steps with the remaining dough and set aside.
Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add the triangle paratha and cook, turning once, for a few minutes. Add more vegetable oil and turn again. Fry on both sides until golden brown.