Hot and Sour Shrimp Soup
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 2:10 h
- Ready In : 2:25 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1people rated this recipe
- 1 pound (480g) jumbo shrimp,peeled,deveined and shells reserved
- 3¾ cups (900 ml) chicken stock
- 3 lemon grass stalks
- 6 kaffir lime leaves,halved
- 8 oz (240 g) mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallion
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
- 4 fresh red chillies,seeded and sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Place peeled shrimp in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
Rinse the reserved shrimp shells under cold running water. In a ceramic cooking pot,combine rinsed shrimp shells and chicken stock. Cover slow cooker and switch to high.
With a pestle,bruise the bulbous end of the lemon grass stalks. Add the lemon grass stalks and half of kaffir lime leaves to the stock. Cover slow cooker and cook on high heat-setting for 2 hours.
Strain cooked stock into a large bowl. Rinse out slow cooker.
Pour the stock back into cleaned slow cooker. Add mushrooms,cover slow cooker and cook on high heat setting for 30 minutes.
Add peeled shrimp to the soup and cook for a further 10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and are cooked.
Stir the remaining ingredients into the soup. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Hot and sour shrimp soup is ready. Bone appetite!