Hungarian Beef Stew
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 8:00 h
- Cook Time: 6:00 h
- Ready In: 14:00 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
2 People rated this recipe
Hungarian beef stew. This is a traditional beef dish. Cholent is a long-simmered dish of beans, grains, beef, and vegetables. Delicious!!!
- 9 oz(270 g) dried haricot beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion,peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves,peeled and finely chopped
- 2 oz(60 g) pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon ground paprika
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 celery stick,chopped
- 14 oz(420 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 3 carrots,peeled and sliced
- 1 small turnip,peeled and diced
- 2 potatoes,peeled and cut into chunks
- 1½ pounds(720 g) mixture of beef brisket,stewing beef and smoked beef,cubed
- 4 cups(1L) boiling beef stock
- 2 tablespoons easy-cook white rice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper,to taste
- 4 eggs
In a large bowl,soak the beans for at least 8 hours.
Drain well soaked beans,then place them in a large pan,cover with fresh water and bring to a boil. Boil for about 10 minutes,skimming off any froth that rises to the surface. Drain well and set aside.
In a large pan,preheat olive oil. Add chopped onion and cook until onion is soft. Transfer cooked onion to the ceramic cooking pot.
Add chopped garlic,drained beans,barley,paprika,cayenne pepper,celery,tomatoes,carrots,turnip,potatoes,beef and stock. Stir well to combine.
Cover the pot and cook over low heat for 5-6 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Add the rice,stir well,then add seasoning.
Rinse the eggs in tepid water;then place them,one at a time,into hot stock. Cover and cook for 45 minutes more,or until rice is cooked.