Slow Cooker Beef Goulash
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 5:00 h
- Ready In : 5:10 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1people rated this recipe
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion,peeled and diced
- 4 medium carrots,peeled and cut into 2 inch (5cm) pieces
- 3 garlic cloves,peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup (60 g) sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 cups (750 ml) low-sodium beef broth
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound (480 g) egg noodles
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sour cream
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pounds (1.9 kg) boneless beef short ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
Season beef ribs with salt and black pepper. Set aside.
Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add seasoned ribs and sear,turning occasionally,until deep brown all over.
Remove seared beef ribs from the skillet and transfer to slow cooker.
Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat in the skillet. Add onion,carrots and minced garlic to the skillet. Sprinkle with kosher salt and cook over medium heat until vegetables are softened (for about 10 minutes). Stir in paprika,ground caraway seeds and coriander. Cook,stirring,for a further 1 minute.
Transfer onion mixture to slow cooker. Add beef broth,thyme and bay leaf. Cover and bring to a boil on high heat setting.
Cook on high heat setting for 4 hours,or until meat is very tender. Discard the thyme stems and bay leaf. Spoon off as much of the fat as you can from the surface.
Meanwhile,cook egg noodles in boiling salted water,according cooking instructions. Drain and transfer cooked noodles to slow cooker. Add butter and toss,using a tongs,until noodles are coated.
Serve cooked noodles topped with beef goulash in warmed deep bowls. Serve each bowl with a spoon of sour cream.