Slow Cooker Beef Stew Provencal
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 7:00 h
- Ready In: 7:10 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 People rated this recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 oz (120 g) lean salt pork,diced
- 2 pounds (960 g) stewing steak cut into cubes
- 1 large yellow onion onion,peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots,peeled and sliced
- 2 ripe tomatoes,peeled,seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 oz (120 g) shiitake mushrooms,sliced
- 2 garlic cloves,peleed and finely chopped
- 1 cup (250 ml) fruity red wine
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) beef stock
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 small onion,studded with 2 cloves
- freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 ornage
- grated zest of 1/2 orange
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a large saucepan,heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add sliced mushrooms and cook,stirring,for 2-3 minutes. Add the salt pork and cook over medium heat fro a further 4-5 minutes,stirring frequently until browned and fat is tendered.
Using the slotted spoon,transfer cooked meat and mushrooms to slow cooker.
Working in the batches,add cubed beef to the pan in a single layer. Cook for 6-8 minutes until browned on all sides. Remove cooked beef form saucepan and transfer to slow cooker. Continue browning the meat in the same way,adding more oil when needed.
Pour red wine and beef stock over beef in slow cooker. Add bouquet garni and onion.
Add remaining olive oil to the saucepan. Add onion and cook gently for 5 minutes. Stir in carrots and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes,tomato paste,garlic. Transfer tomato mixture to slow cooker.
Cover slow cooker and cook on low0heat setting for 5-7 hours or until beef and vegetables are very tender. Uncover and skim any fat. Discard bouquet garni and clove-studded onion. Season with salt and black pepper. Stir in orange juice and zest.
Remove cooked beef stew from slow cooker and transfer to serving platter. Serve immediately.