Slow Cooker Beer-Braised Beef Short Ribs Recipe2021-02-28
- Cuisine: American
- Course: Main Dish
- Skill Level: Advanced
- Add to favorites
- Yield: 6
- Servings: 6
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 12:00 h
- Ready In: 12:10 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 People rated this recipe
This information is per serving.
Saturated Fat8 g
Unsaturated Fat2.2 g
Slow cooker beer-braised beef short ribs recipe. Beer-braised ribs with vegetables and spicy sauce cooked in a slow cooker. Serve them over mashed potatoes or cooked noodles. You may also like Bourbon-Glazed Sausages, another delicious meal cooked in a slow cooker (crockpot).
What is Braising?
Braising is a cooking technique that involves browning the meat before it is cooked in liquid. This process seals in the juices and creates a succulent dish.
Braising is a tried-and-true way to cook meat and vegetables in liquid, as it creates an incredibly savory flavor. However, braising has some drawbacks, such as having to babysit your pot of food on the stovetop or in the oven for hours at a time. The slow cooker or crockpot can help ease this burden by providing constant heat while you go about your day.
The slow cooker or crockpot allows you to braise without any supervision, freeing up your time to do other things while dinner cooks itself!
How To Braise Your Meat In A Slow Cooker and The 5 Best Tips for Successful Results
Slow cooker braising is a cooking technique that is popular in many cuisines including Asian, Mexican, and American. It allows you to cook meat at low temperatures for a long period of time. The most common mistake when braising meat in a slow cooker is not cooking the meat for long enough.
Slow cookers can be tricky to use and take some practice before you master the technique. The 5 best tips for successful results are listed below:
1) Brown the meat first: This will add flavor to your dish and make it easier to sear later on if you need to do so.
2) Sear with high heat: This will help seal juices from the browned layer of meat and make sure that they don’t leak out during cooking.
3) Add liquid: A little liquid is added to the slow cooker before cooking so that the meat can cook and release juices.
4) Add spices: Dried herbs and spices like cumin, coriander, and oregano will add more flavor to your dish.
5) Add aromatics: Onion, garlic, carrots, celery are great additions for adding flavor
Slow Cooker Beer-Braised Beef Short Ribs Recipe
- 5 pounds (2½ kg) beef short ribs
- 14½ oz (435 ml) can beef broth
- 12 oz (360 ml) can dark beer
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) molasses
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Trim fat from ribs, then place meat in a 6-quart (6 L) slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
Cover the pot and cook on low-heat setting for 11-12 hours or until ribs are tender.
Turn off the cooker and open the lid. Using a slotted spoon, transfer ribs to a serving plate, reserving cooking liquid. Skim fat from the liquid.
Serve cooked ribs with gravy over mashed potatoes. Enjoy!