Tiny Thai Croquettes2022-04-05
- Yield: 8
- Servings: 8
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 25m
- Ready In: 35m
Average Member Rating
(2.5 / 5)
2 People rated this recipe
This information is per serving.
Saturated Fat4.1 g
Trans Fat0 g
Unsaturated Fat1.1 g
Tiny Thai croquettes. Delicious skillet-fried fish croquettes with vegetables and herbs served with spicy sweet and sour sauce.
- 12 oz (360 g) catfish fillets, boned and cut into small cubes
- 12 oz (360 g) green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch(1.25 cm) rounds
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh lime zest
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Thai Sweet and Sour Sauce (see recipe below)
- For Thai Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1 cup (250 ml) rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup (250 ml) water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh red chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh cilantro stems and roots,strings removed
- 1 cup (250 g) thinly sliced cucumbers,halved and seeded
- 8 cilantro leaves, for garnish
In a mixing bowl, combine cubed fish, green beans, and basil. Stir well and process the fish mixture in small batches in a food processor, without making a smooth paste. There should be some texture and each ingredient should be visible.
Place mixture in a bowl. To the fish mixture, add fish sauce, curry paste, lime zest, brown sugar, and black pepper. Mix well, using a fork.
Fold in a beaten egg to bind the mixture. Form into 16 roundish croquettes, 2 inches (5 cm) across.
Preheat vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add fish croquettes in small batches and sate on both sides until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Serve tiny Thai croquettes hot with sweet and sour sauce.
Thai Sweet and Sour Sauce: In a saucepan, combine all ingredients, except cucumber and cilantro leaves. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring to dissolve the sugars.
Remove to a bowl and let cool to room temperature. Stir in cucumber slices. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve with tiny Thai croquettes.