Winter Squash Soup
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 1:50 h
- Ready In : 2:00 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1people rated this recipe
Winter squash soup.very delicious soup served with homemade Gruyere croutons.
- 1 pound (480 g) butternut squash,halved lengthwise
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 cups (500 ml) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 medium onion,peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) semidry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- For Gruyere Croutons:(recipe follows)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 12 1/4-inch(0.5 cm)-thick baguette bread slices
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh sage
Preheat oven to 375°F(180°C).
Place squash cut-side down in a pan filled with 1/2-inch(1.25 cm) water. Roast squash until tender(about 45-60 minutes). Cool,seed,scoop out the flesh and set aside
Preheat oven to 425°F(210°C).
Slice red bell pepper in half through the stem and flatten each piece. Place the pepper on a aluminum foil on the the preheated oven's middle shelf. Cook for 10-15 minutes,turning on all sides until blackened.
Remove cooked pepper from the heat. Set aside for 15 minutes.
Peel,seed,and process in a food processor with several tablespoons of chicken broth. Set aside.
Heat olive oil in large saucepan. Add ginger and diced onion and cook for 15 minutes over low heat.
Add semidry white wine,increase the heat,and bring to a boil until mixture is reduced by half (about 3-5 minutes). In a blender or food processor,combine onion mixture , chopped squash , remaining chicken broth , nutmeg , thyme and salt. Process until smooth.
Transfer the soup back to the pan and heat for 2-3 minutes. Remove winter squash soup from heat and top each portion with a spoonful of red bell pepper puree. Add freshly ground black pepper to taste . Serve with Gruyere Croutons.
Gruyere Croutons: Preheat broiler.
Butter one side of each bread slice. Place bread,buttered side up,on a baking sheet. Broil until golden,about 1 minute.
Turn bread slices over. Sprinkle Gruyere cheese,then thyme and sage over. Add seasoning to taste. Broil until cheese melts.