Chicken and Italian Sausage Casserole
- 3½ pounds(1.7 kg) skinless,boneless chicken breasts,cut into pieces
- 6 Herb sausages,cut into 1-inch(2.5 cm) pieces
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion,peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper,chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper,chopped
- 4 garlic cloves,peeled and minced
- Italian sausage,thinly sliced
- 16 oz(480 g) can plum tomatoes,drained
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch Italian flat leaf parsley,chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F(180°C).
- In a large frying pan,heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Season well chicken pieces and add to frying pan.
- Fry seasoned chicken pieces until browned(about 15 minutes).
- Remove cooked chicken from the heat and place in a casserole dish.
- Add sausages and Italian sausage to frying pan and cook until golden brown(about 5 minutes).
- Remove cooked sausages from the heat and add to casserole dish.
- Using the same frying pan,fry onion,red and yellow bell peppers and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with paprika and salt and mix well.
- Add dry white wine,reduce the heat to low and continue cooking for a few minutes.
- Add tomatoes,chicken stock and bay leaf,mix well and bring mixture to a boil.
- Then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove mixture from the heat and pour into casserole dish.
- Cover casserole dish with a lid and cook in preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with cooked rice.