Mediterranean Beef Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ pounds(720 g) beef stew meat
- 1 medium yellow onion,peeled and diced
- 2-inches(5 cm) fresh ginger,peeled and grated
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon allspice
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup(250 ml) dry red wine
- 3 oz(90 g) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- 7 dried apricot,roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1½ cups dry jasmine rice
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add beef stew meat and brown on all sides(about 15 minutes).
- Add diced onion,ginger and minced garlic and cook until tender,stirring occasionally.
- Add allspice and cinnamon and cook,stirring,for 1 minute.
- Add dry red wine to dilute the bottom of the pot.
- Add the water,tomato paste,crushed red pepper and salt.
- Stir well to dissolve tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil,then reduce the heat to low,cover and simmer for 1hour.
- Meanwhile,cook the jasmine rice.
- In a medium pot,combine 3 cups of water and dry rice.
- Cover and bring to a boil,then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes,turn heat off and set cooked rice aside.
- When beef stew simmered for 1 hour,add apricots and raisins.
- Simmer,uncovered for 20 minutes more.
- Fluff cooked rice with fork and ladle beef stew on top.