Slow Cooker Tomato Soup with Basil Dumplings2015-10-09
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 8:00 h
- Ready In : 8:10 h
- 1 large yellow onion,peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots,peeled and chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper,seeded and chopped
- 1 stalk celery,sliced
- 3 cloves garlic,peeled and minced
- 2 14 ½ oz (435 ml) cans diced tomatoes with garlic,basil and oregano,undrained
- 1 14 ½ oz (435 ml) can chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups 9370 ml) tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- pinch of cayenne pepper1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Basil dumplings (recipe follows)1/3 cup 980 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons snipped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg,beaten
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
In a slow cooker,combine onion,carrots,red sweet pepper,celery and garlic.Mix well. Stir in undrained tomatoes,chicken broth,tomato juice,lemon juice,sugar and cayenne pepper.
Cover slow cooker and cook on low-heat setting for 6-8 hours.
Prepare Basil Dumplings: In a small mixing bowl,combine all-purpose flour,fresh basil,salt and baking powder. In another mixing bowl,combine beaten egg and vegetable oil.Stir until well mixed. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Using a wooden spoon,beat until soft,sticky dough forms.
Turn slow cooker to high-heat setting. Drop basil dough by tablespoons onto stew to make six dumplings. Cover slow cooker and cook for a further 50-60 minutes.
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 people rated this recipe