Slow Cooker Chocolate Sauerkraut Cake2022-10-16
- Yield: 8
- Servings: 8
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 3:10 h
- Ready In: 3:25 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 People rated this recipe
This information is per serving.
Saturated Fat4.0 g
Unsaturated Fat0.4 g
To make this slow-cooker chocolate sauerkraut cake, you will need:
To make the cake, combine sugar and shortening. in a medium bowl. Beat well. Add beaten egg, vanilla, and cocoa. Mix in combined all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt alternately with beer, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
Mix in finely chopped sauerkraut.
Pour the batter into a greased and floured 6-quart slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for at least 1 hour before serving.
Here are a few tips for making the best slow-cooker chocolate sauerkraut cake:
* Use good quality sauerkraut. The flavor of the cake will depend on the flavor of the sauerkraut you use.
* Be sure to drain the sauerkraut well before adding it to the cake batter.
* If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can also make this cake in a regular oven. Just bake it at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
* Serve the cake with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream.
If you’re looking for a different way to enjoy this cake, here are a few variations to try:
* Add 1 cup of chopped nuts to the batter.
* Use a different type of chocolate, such as white chocolate or milk chocolate.
* Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to the batter.
* Top the cake with your favorite frosting or whipped cream.
Slow Cooker Chocolate Sauerkraut Cake
- 3/4 cup (180 g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 g) vegetable shortening
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup (60 g) unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup (250 g) plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) light beer
- 1/3 cup (80 g) finely chopped sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- Chocolate-Glaze (see recipe below)
- For Chocolate Glaze: 3/4 cup (180 g) powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar and shortening. Beat well; add beaten egg, vanilla, and cocoa. Mix in combined all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt alternately with beer, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Mix in finely chopped sauerkraut.
Pour butter into greased and floured cake pan. Arrange on rack in 6 quarts (6 L) slow cooker. Cover slow cooker and cook on high-heat setting for 2½-3 hours (until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean).
Cool baked cake on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then invert onto rack and cool. Pour Chocolate Glaze over.
To make Chocolate Glaze: In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and enough milk to make a glaze consistency.