Slow Cooker Chocolate Sauerkraut Cake
- Servings: 8
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 3:10 h
- Ready In: 3:25 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 People rated this recipe
- 3/4 cup (180 g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 g) vegetable shortening
- 1 large egg,beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup (60 g) unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup (250 g) plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) light beer
- 1/3 cup (80 g) finely chopped sauerkraut,drained and rinsed
- Chocolate-Glaze (see recipe below)
- For Chocolate Glaze: 3/4 cup (180 g) powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
In a large mixing bowl,combine sugar and shortening. Beat well;add beaten egg,vanilla and cocoa. Mix in combined all-purpose flour,baking powder,baking soda and salt alternately with beer,beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Mix in finely chopped sauerkraut.
Pour butter into greased and floured cake pan. Arrange on rack in 6quart (6 L) slow cooker. Cover slow cooker and cook on high-heat setting for 2½-3 hours (until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean).
Cool baked cake on wire rack 10 minutes,then invert onto rack and cool. Pour Chocolate Glaze over.
To make Chocolate Glaze:In a mixing bowl,combine all ingredients and enough milk to make glaze consistency.