Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Rice Soup
- Servings: 8-10
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 8:00 h
- Ready In: 8:10 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 People rated this recipe
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice,rinsed
- 1 pound (480 g) boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh celery
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 4 cloves garlic,peeled and minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups (1.5 L) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 2 tablespoons salt-free seasoning blend
- Mrs. Dash's seasoning
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups (500 ml) half-and-half
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a slow cooker,combine uncooked rice,chicken,onion,celery,carrot,garlic, bay leaves, chicken broth, water, and poultry seasoning. Mix well.
Cover slow cooker and cook on low-heat setting for 7-8 hours,remove chicken in a last half hour of cooking. Set meat aside and allow to cool. Using a two forks,shred lightly cooled chicken.
When the rice is done cooking,add shredded chicken back to slow cooker. Stir well.
In a small saucepan,melt butter with olive oil. Stir in all-purpose flour and cook,stirring,for 1 minute. Stir in half-and-half and whisk mixture slowly. Continue to whisk until all lumps have dissolved. Allow the mixture to thicken and become creamy.
Add creamy mixture to slow cooker. Stir well to combine. Season with salt and black pepper.
Remove creamy chicken rice soup from slow cooker. Ladle into bowls and serve hot.