Slow Cooker Indian Lentil Soup Recipe2022-07-22
- Yield: 4
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 8:00 h
- Ready In: 8:10 h
Average Member Rating
(4 / 5)
3 People rated this recipe
This information is per serving.
Saturated Fat4.1 g
Trans Fat0 g
Unsaturated Fat2.2 g
Slow cooker Indian lentil soup recipe. Very easy and delicious soup with vegetables and spices cooked in a slow cooker. More Slow Cooker Recipes
To make the soup, combine all of the ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or until the lentils are tender. Stir occasionally.
Serve the soup with your favorite toppings, such as fresh cilantro, lime wedges, or yogurt.
For a more flavorful soup, add a tablespoon of garam masala or curry powder to the pot along with the lentils. You can also add a can of diced tomatoes or tomato sauce for a heartier soup. If you prefer a thicker soup, you can mash some of the lentils with a potato masher or fork.
There are many ways to customize this recipe to your liking. Here are a few ideas:
* Use different types of lentils. Red lentils cook quickly and will give you a creamier soup. Green lentils hold their shape better and will result in a more hearty soup.
* Add vegetables. Carrots, celery, and onion are all classic additions to lentil soup, but you can also use other vegetables like zucchini, mushrooms, or kale.
* Season with different spices. Garam masala is a traditional Indian spice blend that is perfect for this soup, but you can also use other spices like cumin, coriander, or turmeric.
* Serve with toppings. Chopped cilantro, fresh herbs, or a squeeze of lemon juice are all great ways to add flavor and freshness to your soup.
Slow Cooker Indian Lentil Soup Recipe
- 6 cups (2.5 L) water
- 2 cups diced Indian lentils
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2-3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Combine all ingredients, except seasoning, in a 6-quart(6L) slow cooker. Cover and cook on a low-heat setting for 6-8 hours.
Season slow cooker Indian lentil soup with salt and freshly ground black pepper.