Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Chicken Stew Recipe2021-05-06
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Course: Main Dish
- Skill Level: Advanced
- Add to favorites
- Yield: 6
- Servings: 6
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 8:00 h
- Ready In: 8:10 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 People rated this recipe
This information is per serving.
Saturated Fat1.5 g
Trans Fat2.1 g
Unsaturated Fat1.1 g
Slow cooker tex-mex chicken stew recipe. This chicken recipe belongs to Mexican cuisine. Chicken thighs with vegetables and spices cooked in a slow cooker. The chicken thighs were incredibly tender from being cooked in the slow cooker. The seasonings and spices made this stew very flavorful. Use a 6-quart (6 L) slow cooker for this recipe.
Just pour all ingredients into the slow cooker and turn it on the low-heat setting. Cook and enjoy!
I used boneless and skinless chicken thighs, canned tomatoes, canned beans, canned corn, chicken stock (I used canned), and spices.
Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Chicken Stew Recipe
- 12 oz (360 ml) frozen chopped yellow onions, thawed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 14½ (435 ml) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 15½ oz (460 ml) can BUSH’S® Chili Magic® Chili Starter Texas
- 14½ (435 ml) can chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2½ pounds (1.44 kg) boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- 2 (11 oz (330 ml) each) cans Mexican-style corn with red and green peppers, drained
- 4 oz (120 ml) cream cheese, softened
- 14 oz (420 ml) canned peas, drained
- 1 small can jalapeno wheels, for garnish
In a 6-quart (6 L) slow cooker, combine onions, garlic, tomato paste, pepper, chili powder, brown sugar, canned tomatoes, peas, Bush’s Chili Starter, and chicken stock. Mix well.
In a small mixing bowl, combine softened butter and all-purpose flour. Mix well to form a paste, then stir into the slow cooker.
Place chicken thighs into the liquid, making sure they are completely covered by the vegetable mixture. Cover the pot and cook on a low-heat setting for 7-8 hours, or until chicken and vegetables are cooked through.
Open the lid and remove the cooked chicken. Transfer to a cutting board. Using two forks, shred the meat and return it to the pot along with cream cheese. Stir the corn into the slow cooker, then increase the heat to high.
Cook, uncovered, stirring until the cream cheese has melted.
Turn off the cooker. Ladle chicken stew into serving bowls. Serve with jalapeno wheels. Enjoy!