Tom Yum Goong Soup
- Yield : 4 soup bowls
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 35m
- Ready In : 45m
Tom Yum Goong soup. Delicious seafood Asian soup.
- 8 cups (2 L) chicken broth
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, sliced on a bias in 2-inch pieces
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 red chiles, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) can straw mushrooms, rinsed and halved
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled with tails on
- freshly squeezed juice of 2 limes
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped
Peeling the shrimp, reserve the shells and heads. Cover and refrigerate the shrimp meat.
In a wok, heat cooking oil over medium-high heat, add the shells and heads and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the heads are deep orange. Add 1 cup water and curry paste to the wok. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
Add another 64 oz (2 L) water and simmer for 20 minutes. Strain and discard the shells and heads. Return stock to the wok.
Add tamarind, ground turmeric, chili and lime leaves, bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Add refrigerated shrimp meat and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until pink. Gently stir in the fish sauce, lime juice, and brown sugar.
Sprinkle with fresh coriander leaves. Serve Tom Yum Goong soup hot.