Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese2015-02-10
- Yield : 4-6
- Servings : 4-6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 40m
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
2people rated this recipe
Tomato soup with grilled cheese. Very special,delicious soup.Mouth watering soup recipe!
- olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion,peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt.to taste
- 6 large garlic cloves,peeled and minced
- 3 oz (90 g) tomato paste
- 28 oz (840 g) whole, San Marzano-style tomatoes
- 1 oz (30 g) fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup (60 g) fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 4 cups (1L) hot chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (125 g) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- French baguette,sliced into 12 slices
- 1 small clove garlic,peeled
- 1½ cups Italian-style 4 Cheese blend,shredded
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley,for garnish
Preheat a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Once hot,add diced onion and saute for a few minutes until onion turns lightly brown.
Add 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning,black pepper,red pepper flakes and salt. Stir well to combine. Add minced garlic and stir again.
Continue to cook,stirring,for 30 seconds. Add tomato paste and cook for a further 1 minute. Add canned tomatoes,fresh basil and parsley and granulated sugar. Stir well to combine.
Add hot chicken stock,then reduce heat to low and simmer,partially covered,for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes,turn off the heat and add grated Parmesan cheese. Stir well to combine.
Pour soup into a blender and , working in a batches , blend soup until smooth.
Meanwhile,drizzle baguette slices with olive oil. Arrange them on the baking sheet. Place baking sheet under the broiler and broil until golden and toasty. Rub whole garlic clove over each toasted slice and sprinkle with salt,to taste.
Ladle blended soup to ovenproof bowls and top each with 2-3 garlic toasts. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of shredded cheese. Place under the broiler and broil until cheese becomes bubbly. Remove tomato soup with grilled cheese form the broiler. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve immediately.