Slow Cooker French Toast Bread Pudding
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 loaf(24 oz720 g)) Texas toast-style bread
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- maple syrup
- Grease 3½ quart(3½L) oval slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small mixing bowl,combine brown sugar and ground cinnamon.
- Stir well,reserving 1 teaspoon of mixture and set aside.
- Cut bread slices in half diagonally.
- Arrange bread slices in single layer in bottom of slow cooker(keep as flat as possible).
- Evenly sprinkle on tablespoon of cinnamon mixture.
- Repeat layering with remaining bread and cinnamon mixture,keeping layers as flat as possible.
- In a large saucepan,combine whipping cream,half-and-half,vanilla and salt.
- Cook over medium heat,stirring,until mixture com to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Meanwhile,in a medium bowl,combine egg yolks and granulated sugar.
- Whisk quickly while adding 1/4 cup of hot cream mixture.
- Add warmed cream mixture to saucepan and increase heat to medium-high.
- Cook,stirring,until mixture thickens slightly(about 5 minutes).Do not boil.
- Remove from the heat and stir in ground nutmeg.
- Pour mixture over bread and press bread down lightly.
- Sprinkle reserved 1 tablespoon of cinnamon mixture on top.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low-heat setting for 3-4 hours or until tester inserted into center comes out clean.
- Turn off slow cooker and uncover.
- Set aside and let pudding rest 20 minutes before spooning into bowls.
- Serve with maple syrup.