Asian-Style Seafood Soup
- Servings: 6
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 35m
- Ready In: 45m
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 People rated this recipe
Asian-style seafood soup.Sweet and spicy fish soup.Delicious!
- 4 ripe tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 inch(5 cm) piece fresh ginger,grated
- 3 stems lemon grass,white part only,finely chopped
- 3 small red chilies,finely chopped
- 2 onions,peeled and chopped
- 3 cups (750 ml) fish stock
- 4 kaffir lime leaves,finely chopped
- 5½ oz (160 g) fresh pineapple,peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon tamarind concentrate
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 pound (480 g) raw medium shrimp,peeled and deveined
- 1 pound (480 g) skinless white fish fillets,cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
Score a cross in the base of each ripe tomato. Place in heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water.
After 30 seconds,transfer to cold water,drain and peel away from the cross. Cut tomatoes into halves and,using a teaspoon, scoop out the seeds. Finely chop the flesh.
In a large pan,preheat vegetable oil,add chopped ginger,lemon grass,chili and onion. Stir well over medium heat for 5 minutes,or until onion is golden brown.
Add scooped tomato and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the fish stock,kaffir lime leaves, pineapples,fish sauce,tamarind,brown sugar and 3 cups fresh water. Cover and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat to low and simmer for additional 15 minutes. Add shrimp,fish fillets and coriander to the pan and continue simmer for another 10 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Serve hot.