Fish Fillets in Beer Batter
- Yield: 4 servings
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 30m
- Ready In: 40m
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 People rated this recipe
Fish fillets with beer batter. Dip fried battered fish fillets served with homemade red pepper mayonnaise. Very delicious!
- For Beer Batter:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- salt,to taste
- 2 eggs,separated
- 1 cup (250 ml) beer,at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
- For Fish:
- 8 small fish fillets(sole,cod,haddock)cut into halves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 cups (1.5 L) vegetable oil
- sweet red pepper mayonnaise
- 2 lemons,cut into wedges
- For Sweet Red Pepper Mayonnaise:
- 1 cup sweet red pepper
- 1 cup (250 ml) mayonnaise
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
To Make Beer Batter: In a mixing bowl,combine all-purpose flour,salt and egg yolks. Beat well with a whisker.
Stir in beer,vegetable oil and Tabasco sauce. Cover and set aside.
To Cook Fish Fillets: Sprinkle fish halves with salt and black pepper. Heat vegetable oil in a deep fryer to 380°F (195°C).
Dip fish halves,one at a time,in the beer batter and add them to the hot oil. Cook,turning occasionally,until golden brown and crisp all over(2½-3½ minutes).
Transfer cooked fish fillets to paper towel to drain. Serve fish fillets in beer batter with sweet red pepper mayonnaise(recipe follows) and lemon wedges.
Sweet Red Pepper Mayonnaise: Preheat the broiler or charcoal grill. Place red pepper under the broiler. Cook it on all sides until the entire skin well charred.
When pepper cool enough to handle,split it in half. Remove and discard the seeds and veins. Pull off and discard the charred skin.
Put seeded pepper in a food processor and process until smooth.
In a mixing bowl,combine the mayonnaise and the pureed pepper. Put the hard boiled egg through a fine sieve and add to mayonnaise mixture. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Serve cold.