Pressure Cooker Short Ribs with Salsa Verde
- Yield: 4
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 30m
- Ready In: 40m
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 People rated this recipe
Pressure cooker short ribs with salsa verde. Wine-braised beef short ribs cooked in a pressure cooker and served with homemade salsa verde.
- 3 pounds (1.44 kg) bone-in beef short ribs,trimmed of excess fat
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 12 grinds freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions,peeled and cut into rings
- 2 medium carrots,peeled and chunked
- 2 ribs celery,chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups (370 ml) beef broth
- 1 cup (250 ml) dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- For Salsa Verde:
- 1 clove garlic,peeled and smashed
- 1 oil-packed anchovy fillet
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh flatleaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoons capers,drained
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary,marjoram or oregano
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Season beef ribs all over with salt and black pepper. Dredge in flour.
In a pressure cooker,heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in a batches,brown ribs in a single layer on all sides. Remove browned ribs from pressure cooker and transfer to a plate. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat.
Add onions,carrots and celery. Cook over medium-high heat,stirring occasionally,until lightly browned (for 3-5 minutes). Stir in tomato paste and cook for a further 1 minute. Pour in beef broth and dry red wine,stirring to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of pot.
Return browned beef short ribs to the pot,pressing down on the meat. Add thyme and bay leaf.
Close pressure cooker and lock the lid. Set burner heat to high pressure. When pressure cooker reaches high pressure,reduce heat to low. Set timer to cook for 30 minutes.
For Salsa Verde: In a food processor,combine garlic,anchovy and salt. Process until coarsely chopped. Add parsley,mint,basil,marjoram and capers. Process until finely chopped. With machine running,pour in olive oil,then add lemon juice and black pepper to taste. Adjust salt as needed. Transfer salsa verde to a bowl.
Remove the pot from the heat. Carefully open pressure cooker. Discard bay leaf.
Using a slotted spoon,transfer cooked short ribs to warm shallow dish. Spoon cooking liquid over. Drizzle 2 teaspoons of salsa verde over each short rib. Serve cooked vegetables as a side dish.