Slow Cooker Chicken Soup with Kneidlach
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 5:00 h
- Ready In : 5:10 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1people rated this recipe
- 2 chicken portions(10 oz (300 g) each))
- 1 yellow onion,peeled
- 5 cups (1.25 L) boiling chicken stock
- 2 carrots,peeled and sliced
- 2 celery sticks,thinly sliced
- 1 small parsnip,peeled
- small pinch of freshly ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- salt and freshly ground black pepper,to taste
- For hte Kneildlich:3/4 cup (175 g) medium matzo meal
- 2 large eggs,lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- half of onion,peeled and finely grated
- pinch of chicken stock cube
- 6 tablespoons water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Rinse chicken pieces,pat dry with paper towel and place in slow cooker. Add whole onion,chicken stock,carrots,celery,parsnip,turmeric and seasoning.
Cover slow cooker and cook on high-heat setting for 1 hour. Skin off the scum that comes to the surface. Cook for a further 3 hours,or until chicken are cooked through.
Remove cooked,discard the skin and bones and chop the flesh. Skim the fat off the soup,then return the pieces of chicken. Stir in parsley and dill. Continue cooking while you make the kneidlach.
In a large mixing bowl,combine matzo meal,beaten eggs,vegetable oi,parsley,onion,chicken stock and water. Mix well,it should be the consistency of thick,soft paste. Cover and chill got 30 minutes,until the mixture has become firm.
Bring a pan of water to the boil over medium-high heat and have a bowl of cold water next to the stove. Dip 2 tablespoons into cold water,then take a spoonful of matzo batter. Using a hands,roll it into a balls,then slip it into the boiling water. Reduce heat to low,so that the water simmers. Continue with remaining matzo batter. Cover pan and cook for 15-20 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon,remove kneidlach from the pan and divide between individual serving bowls. Leave them to firm up for a few minutes. Ladle the hot soup over kneidlach. Sprinkle with extra parsley and serve.