Slow Cooker Short Ribs Arrabiata
- Yield: 8 serving plates
- Servings: 8
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 7:00 h
- Ready In: 7:10 h
Average Member Rating
(1.3 / 5)
8 People rated this recipe
Slow cooker short ribs Arrabiata. Beef short ribs with vegetables cooked in a slow cooker and served over cooked polenta.
- 3 pounds (1.44 kg) beef short ribs, fat trimmed
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 28 oz (840 g) can Italian style whole peeled tomatoes in puree, undrained and cut up
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano ,crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 ¾ cups (930 ml) water
- 1 cup (250 g) quick-cooking polenta mix
- 3/4 cup (180 g) finely shredded Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
In a large nonstick skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove cooked bacon from the heat and pat dry with paper towel,reserving dripping in skillet.
Sprinkle beef short ribs with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and ground black pepper. Add seasoned ribs to reserved drippings and cook over medium-high heat until brown on all sides. Remove cooked beef short ribs from the skillet,reserving drippings.
Add chopped onions and garlic to reserved drippings. Cook,stirring occasionally,until onions are tender. Drain off fat.
In slow cooker,combine cooked bacon and onion mixture. Top with cooked beef ribs. Add tomatoes,dry red wine,dried basil,oregano,crushed red pepper and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Cover slow cooker and cook on low-heat setting for 6-7 hours.
Prepare polenta mix. In a large saucepan bring 3 ¾ cups (930 ml) water and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt to boiling. Stir in boiling salted water polenta mix. Reduce heat to low. Cook,stirring,until thickened and bubbly. Stir in 1/2 cup (125 g) Romano cheese and fresh parsley.
Spoon cooked polenta mix into shallow bowl. Top with cooked beef short ribs and tomato mixture. Sprinkle with remaining Romano cheese and serve.