Asian-Style Seafood Soup
- 4 ripe tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 inch(5 cm) piece fresh ginger,grated
- 3 stems lemon grass,white part only,finely chopped
- 3 small red chilies,finely chopped
- 2 onions,peeled and chopped
- 3 cups fish stock
- 4 kaffir lime leaves,finely chopped
- 5½ oz(160 g) fresh pineapple,peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon tamarind concentrate
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 pound(480 g) raw medium shrimp,peeled and deveined
- 1 pound(480 g) skinless white fish fillets,cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- Score a cross in the base of each ripe tomato.
- Place in heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water.
- After 30 seconds,transfer to cold water,drain and peel away from the cross.
- Cut tomatoes into halves and,using a teaspoon, scoop out the seeds.
- Finely chop the flesh.
- In a large pan,preheat vegetable oil,add chopped ginger,lemon grass,chili and onion.
- Stir well over medium heat for 5 minutes,or until onion is golden brown.
- Add scooped tomato and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the fish stock,kaffir lime leaves, pineapples,fish sauce,tamarind,brown sugar and 3 cups fresh water.
- Cover and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for additional 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp,fish fillets and coriander to the pan and continue simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve hot.