Pressure Cooker Red-Cooked Pork Shoulder
- Servings : 6-8
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 55m
- Ready In : 1:05 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1people rated this recipe
Pressure cooker red-cooked pork shoulder. Chunked pork shoulder in homemade red sauce cooked in popular pressure cooker.Red cooking is a traditional Chinese method of braising different kinds of meat in a savory-sweet mixture. This method turns the food dark red-brown.
- 3 ½ pounds (1/7 kg) piece boneless pork shoulder,cut into large chunks
- freshly ground black pepper
- For Red-Cooking Sauce:
- 1 ½ cups (370 ml) water
- 1 ½ cups (370 ml) dry red wine
- 1 cup (250 ml) light soy sauce
- 1 cup (250 ml) dark soy sauce
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 ¼ cups dark brown sugar
- 6 green onions(white and light green parts),trimmed and cut into 3-inch lenghts
- 3 small dried red Thai chilies
- 1 piece fresh ginger,thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic,peeled
- 1 medium orange,quartered
- 2 star anise pods,lightly crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
Put the pork dry with paper towel. Season lightly on all sides with black pepper.
In a pressure cooker,combine all red-cooking liquid ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat,stirring to dissolve brown sugar.
Stir in remaining ingredients. Add seasoned pork chunks and settle it into liquid.
Close pressure cooker and lock the lid. Set burner heat to high pressure. When cooker reaches high pressure,reduce the burner heat to low. Set timer to cook for 55 minutes.
Remove the pot from the heat. Carefully open pressure cooker. The pork should be very tender. Transfer cooked meat to serving platter,cover with aluminum foil and keep warm.
Strain about 1 cup (250 ml) of cooking liquid through a fine mesh strainer into a small saucepan. Discard the solids. Allow the remaining liquid to cool completely,then cover it and refrigerate up to 1 week.
In a small saucepan,bring remaining liquid to boil over medium-high heat. Continue to boil until it is reduced by 2/3 and thick (about 5 minutes).
Pour sauce over meat,reserving a bit of it on side for drizzling Serve immediately.