Seafood Laksa Soup
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 60m
- Ready In : 1:10 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1people rated this recipe
Seafood Laksa soup.Very delicious Malaysian seafood soup.
- 2 pounds (960 g) raw medium shrimp,shelled and deveined (set the shells,heads and tails aside)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) vegetable oil
- 2-3 fresh red chilies,seeded and finely chopped
- 1 onion,peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic,peeled and halved
- 3/4-inch(2 cm) piece ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 3 stems lemon grass,white part only,chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons shrimp past
- 2½ cups (625 ml) coconut cream
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 4 kaffir lime leaves,crushed
- 1-2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 6½ oz (200 g) packet fish balls
- 6½ oz (200 g) packet tofu puffs
- 8 oz (240 g) dried rice vermicelli
- 8 oz (240 g) bean sprouts
- 4 tablespoons fresh mint,chopped(to serve)
To make the shrimp stock,heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in large heavy pan. Add reserved shrimp shells,heads and tails. Stir until heads are bright orange,then add 1 liter water. Bring to a boil,reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Strain broth through a fine sieve,discarding shells.
In a food processor,combine the chili,onion,garlic,ginger,turmeric,coriander,lemon grass and 1/4 cup of shrimp stock. Process until finely chopped.
Heat remaining vegetable oil in sauce pan and add the chili mixture and shrimp paste. Stir over low-heat for 3-5 minutes.
Pour in remaining shrimp stock and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the coconut cream,brown sugar,lime leaves and fish sauce. Simmer for additional 5 minutes.
Add the shrimps and simmer until just pink. Add the fish balls and tofu puffs and simmer gently until just heated through.
In a bowl of boiling water,soak the rice vermicelli for 2 minutes. Drain and divide seafood Laksa soup among serving bowl. Top with bean sprouts and ladle seafood Laksa soup over top. Sprinkle with fresh mint and coriander.