Slow Cooker Chicken Jambalaya
- Servings: 6
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 5:00 h
- Ready In: 5:10 h
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 People rated this recipe
- 1/2 pound (240 g0 skinless and boneless chicken breasts,cubed
- 6 oz (180 g) raw smoked bacon,fat trimmed and cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion,peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves,peeled and crushed
- 2 sticks celery,diced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons tomato puree
- 2 dashes of Tabasco sauce
- 3 cups (750 ml) boiling chicken stock
- 10 oz (300 g) easy-cook rive
- 4 oz (120 g) cooked horizo sausages,sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper,to taste
In a saucepan,heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add onion and fry,stirring, for about 5 minutes. Stir in crushed garlic,celery,thyme,chili powder and ginger and cook for a further 1 minute. Transfer mixture to slow cooker.
In the same saucepan,heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add cubed chicken and fry gently until lightly browned. Transfer fried chicken to slow cooker together with bacon cubes.
In a mixing bowl,combine tomato puree,Tabasco sauce and chicken stock. Whisk well and pour mixture into slow cooker. Mix well,cover slow cooker and cook on high-heat setting for 1 ½ hours.
Sprinkle easy-cook rice into the slow cooker and stir to mix. Cover and cook on high-heat setting for a further 45 minutes-1 hour or until rice almost tender and chicken stock has been absorbed. Add a little water if mixture is too dry.
Stir in chorizo,cover and cook on high-heat setting for a further 15 minutes. Stir in chopped fresh parsley and season with salt and black pepper. Stir again and turn off slow cooker. Leave for 10 minutes,then,using a fork,stir to fluff up the rice.
Serve garnished with fresh parsley or chopped green onions.